Call for Student Posters
The Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC®) invites both undergraduate and graduate students interested in the building and construction sector to submit a poster to be presented at the 2017 Alberta Sustainable Building Symposium– in Edmonton, Canada on September 20, 2017. This year the Alberta Sustainable Building Symposium is celebrating its 20th year!
Eligible posters are being sought from a wide array of disciplines related to sustainability, innovation in the construction sector and green building -potential topics of interest include:
- Material Science
- Interior Decorating
- Art and Design
- Computer Science
- Civil Engineering
- Urban Planning
- Green Chemistry
- Sustainable Building Materials
- Landscape design
- HVAC design
- Construction management
- Finance and Investment
Poster Presenters will receive free entry to the Pre-ASBS Speed Networking on September 19. All posters will be displayed at the networking event and the winner will be announced that evening. Posters will also be posted on the Chapter website.
The Poster Presentation Winner will receive:
- Free entrance to the main event, the 20th Annual Sustainable Building Symposium (ASBS) conference on September 20th
- A display board at the main ASBS event on September 20th
The best posters that meet the eligibility requirements will be presented at the Emerging Green Professionals networking event to be held the evening of September 19, 2017 in Edmonton. At least one of the team members involved in the creation of the poster will be expected to attend the event to stand by the poster and answer any questions. A committee has been assembled to judge the posters and includes representatives from government, academia and industry. Judging will take place the evening of the 19th and the three winning posters will be awarded a prize including tickets to attend the ASBS event the following day. The three winning submissions will also be recognized at the Alberta Sustainable Building Symposium plenary session on September 20th. Top 10 posters will also be showcased at the innovation hall of the ASBS event.
Please note: Accepted poster presenters who do not receive the free-conference award will have to register at the student rate in order to present at the meeting.
Submission deadline: September 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM (MDT)
- Applicants can come from any discipline as long as the ideas they are presenting are relevant to green building and construction.
- Must have innovative ideas relevant to the building and construction sector.
- Submissions with private sector participation will be judged favorably.
- All submissions must meet the required poster specifications (below).
- Adjudication committee reserves the right to exclude any poster.
- Applicants must be a current student or recent graduates.
Individuals must be either:
- an undergraduate or graduate student who can document that they are enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD or equivalent degree-granting or certificate granting academic program in an accredited academic institution,.
- a recent graduate who has recently completed a degree granting program meeting the same requirements listed above,
General Submission Requirements
- Abstracts and PDF format must be submitted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than by September 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM (MDT) (Mountain Time).
- A student may submit only one poster.
- Posters will be reviewed, and authors will be notified of results during the week of Monday, August 14, 2017.
- Abstracts should address either the ‘Next 20’ theme or the general theme of the conference: “Inspiring Innovation”.
- If a poster is accepted as finalist, one author must attend the ASBS speed networking event on September 19th to present the poster at 18:00 hrs.
- Each speaker will be allotted 5 minutes to present their poster. 2 minutes will be reserved for audience questions and discussion.
- Only one author is to be identified at the time of submitting the poster. This author will be the lead regarding all communications related to the submission.
- All authors must agree to the ASBS Speaker Authorization for Use of Presentation Materials in order for the abstract to be a part of the ASBS conference. Accepted posters will be available on the ASBS 2017 website for attendee download.
- Posters must be submitted in electronic pdf format
- Posters must list the names and organizational affiliation of team members in the top right corner
- Posters must acknowledge any sponsors that supported the project
- Posters must include references to any work cited
- Posters must be at least 594 mm x 840 mm (A1) in area and no larger than 841 mm x 1189mm (A0)
- Posters must contain no more than 40% text by area.
Criteria that will be considered by judges:
- Level of innovation/creativity
- Have the judges seen the idea before?
- Does the poster consider the impact of the ideas on other disciplines?
- Environmental impact of ideas
- Does the idea contribute to the goal of sustainable building?
- Does the idea have a positive outcome on multiple metrics (water, health, energy, etc.)?
- Relevance to industry
- Does the project involve an industry partner?
- Was industry consulted in the process of the research?
- Is the innovation widely applicable in Alberta?
- Is there a clear path for the innovation to be implemented or do barriers remain?
- Is it possible to implement this project in the next 20 years?
- Clarity of presentation
- Is the poster free of spelling and grammar errors?
- Is the text legible?
- Visual impact and overall impression
- Does the poster make a convincing argument?
- Are photos and graphics utilized effectively?
For additional information or to submit proposals, please email Robyn O’Brien, email@example.com or call (587) 881-1741.